RE: ISO intellectual property (was Standards)

And a recent decision regarding online radio.
Although this is clearly a performance royalty
issue, it is another good example of community norms
colliding with the law.

http://news.excite.com/news/ap/010802/22/online-radio

We may see revisions in international courts.  They
could start from international standards and work
toward a sensible policy.   I would prefer to see
ISO, the consortia et al work out roles that each
could play.   They can do that if the consortia
does not as Goldfarb put it, consider them a
rubber stamp and ISO understands that the consortia
may not always be reliable partners.

I agree with Mike Champion that the W3C is
a terrible place to create standards and a wonderful
place to incubate technology but that is beside the
question of what do terms like standards mean to
the community looking for guidance.  All we can
say today is patent anything and copyright the
documents.  Developers and their employers have
to use their best judgement.  No new news that.

Also included on that page are the links to the
decision by Dell to quit offering Linux on desktops
based on lack of demand.  It is still a market
driven development world despite all efforts to
resit that.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.