RE: SAX Filters for Namespace Processing

At 06:23 PM 05/08/01 +0100, Edd Dumbill wrote:
> A lot of the cruft
>I've seen in recent times is due to lack of, if not academic, certainly
>scholarly attention to prior art, experience and techniques.  Perhaps
>that's just the culture of the Web, where the naive approach rules.

On the other hand, the Web would never happened had TimBL paid too
much attention to the academic hypertext community's consensus and
prior art.  Not that the academics don't bring something to the
table, and in general I'm in favor of more non-vendor input in the
standards community: (not just academics, we need more big users
and people like librarians).

I think almost all of the cruft comes from lack of respect for
the 80/20 principle on which the Web itself is based. -Tim