RE: ISO intellectual property (was Standards)

View conformance testing as a service and that
is the approach they generally take.  They set
the standard, can provide inspections and tests,
and certify results.  This ties results to the
right to carry the trademark.  Now you have a case.

However, the biggest difference among many of these
organizations is who ratifies the results of the
process.   The ISO members are law making bodies
(governments) and can cite ISO, W3C, IETF, documents
etc. in policies with various kinds of acts enabled
for failure or success in meeting these.  They tend
to cite ISO standards.  They are now also citing W3C specs.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h