OPES and XSLT

Recent firestorm over OPES got me wondering:

1. who owns the copyright on transformed data?  At what threshold does
butchering stops and originality starts?

2. is the legal protection at the consuming end or at producing end?

3. what about transforming or modifying common parts of copyrighted material
like HTML during transit ?  Is it illegal to inject popups at routers?

Interesting questions that affect all of us, I am afraid.  BTW, if you are
going to join this thread, bring your flame-protection suit.

- Don