empty content

I looked at the specs and searched the internet for an example of how to
declare an empty element within a schema and I couldn't find much.  The
schema specs say that an empty element is declared by having an element
with complexType and leaving it empty.  All the examples I found on the
internet contain attribute declarations within the element.  I am just
trying to create an empty element without any attributes.  This is how I
did it:

<xsd:element name="foo">
    <xsd:complexType/>
</xsd:element>