RE: newbie question: How to use xml-schema ?

Yes, you'll need to use another parser. If you use Microsoft tools, you can
check MSXML 4, which is currently in beta. You'll find it at
http://msdn.microsoft.com/downloads/default.asp?url=/downloads/sample.asp?ur
l=/MSDN-FILES/027/001/677/msdncompositedoc.xml. It has added preliminary
support for XML Schema and includes documentation on how to use XML Schema
with the XML SDK. There is also an interesting prototype GUI tool at
http://www.topologi.com/ that works with MSXML 4, though it does not work
yet with this latest release.

If you use Java, you can check out Apache Xerces at
http://xml.apache.org/xerces-j/index.html. You can also find some other
tools listed at http://www.w3.org/XML/Schema#Tools, though this list is not
exhaustive (and quite frankly, tool support for XML Schema is still somewhat
limited, at present).