RE: XML.COM: How I Learned to Love daBomb

Sometimes market does not come from code.
Code often comes to market.  We are very used
to being automated, but it hasn't been that
long that when one went to sell a database,
they handed back a stack of paper and said
"do these."  In the business I work for there
is still a lot of that.  The problem here is
staying away from one-off custom development.
Find two court systems in two states that
handle the same data and know it.  It makes things like
LegalXML a challenge because as good a design
and as simple as it is, there aren't as many
takers.  When that aha emerges in the market,
code drives market.  Neither way is right; both are
possible and prevalent.

It was probably that short period of calling
it SGML On the Web.  When I first saw SGML,
I saw objects, then I looked closer and
saw Runoff, and even closer, I saw structs.  Every time
I peeled back a layer of my ambition, I saw less.
Then I started back across the bridge and saw a
world of interoperating apps passing documents
based on common types.  But that was 1986 and
it wasn't a very common ambition.  They told
me it was magic and I needed to get back
to work on printing manuals.

What do They know?  ;-)

When writing specs or standards, stay as simple
as you can.  That is best.  When implementing dreams,
go your own way and patent as much as you can.
In both cases, don't think the region beyond
URLs is the edge of the world and that you
will fall off if you sail too far.   The
Rainbow Bridge goes from a frosty dream to Asgard.
See if your town still has a library.  They
have these neat things called "books" there.
Like an old horn, they are hard to master but
wonderfully deep and resonant if you blow soft
and slowly.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.