From: Contactus@whatis.com [mailto:contactus@whatis.com]
Sent: Saturday, August 18, 2001 8:10 AM
To: 'Evan Lenz '
Cc: Rouse, Margaret
Subject: "namespace" fixed on whatis.com!

Evan...

Thanks for insisting we rewrite "namespace" and please accept our apologies
for taking so long!

I append the new version that will be active on the site tomorrow or later
today.  Please let me know if it needs change.  I've kept it short; I'd
rather let Ronald Bourret's FAQ do most of the work.

Thanks for contributing!

Lowell Thing, Editor, whatis.com
Visit TechTarget, the leading network of industry-specific Web
sites for enterprise IT professionals at www.techtarget.com.

----------
namespace

In general, a namespace uniquely identifies a set of names so that there is
no ambiguity when objects having different origins but the same names are
mixed together. Using the Extensible Markup Language (XML), an XML namespace
is a collection of element type and attribute names. These element types and
attribute names are uniquely identified by the name of the unique XML
namespace of which they are a part. In an XML document, any element type or
attribute name can thus have a two-part name consisting of the name of its
namespace and then its local (functional) name.

For example, suppose the same XML document included the element type of
OWNER for owners of motorcycles as well as for owners of automobiles. It
might be necessary or desirable to know that an owner name was one of those
who owned a motorcyle rather than an automobile. Having different motorcycle
and automobile namespaces would make this possible. Effectively, it would
make it possible to label motorcycle owners differently than automobile
owners without having to create a different element type for each.

In XML, a namespace is commonly given the name of a Uniform Resource Locator
(URL) both because the namespace may be associated with the site or page of
that URL (for example, a company name) and because a URL is conveniently
likely to be a unique name. Note that the URL is not necessarily intended to
be used other than as a name nor is there any namespace document or XML
schema that must be accessed; the URL is simply used as a name (and part of
the two-part name of any element type or attribute name so that the names
are unique within the document).

Read more about it at:
>  Ronald Bourret provides an extensive "XML Namespaces FAQ."
>  SearchMiddleware.com provides links fo more information about "XML-Based
Integration and Data Exchange."