RE: CORBA vs. XML (was: Re: XML.COM: How I Learned to Love daBomb)

SOAP-based CORBA/COM bridge over WAN (or were you talking only about LAN -
in which case, my apologies for this message) - very interesting, but did
you wonder about performance & coupling issues for an application built over
it:

a) Programmers want to access objects at the lowest granularity that makes
sense to application. If I have a circle object, I want access granularity
to be so low to let me query the radius or center individually. I don't know
how the caching techniques of generic systems like COM are going to help
you. You nearly always will want domain specific caching - means you want to
control the granularity of the data moving over the IP network, as well as
triggers to refresh/fill-in the specific cache elements.

b) Client "forgets" to release an object interface at server! As an
application programmer, I want complete control over the client/server
coupling. I am not aware of a way to do it in COM. And common sense tells me
I am unlikely to find it in CORBA & EJB too - or am I wrong?

May be SOAP helps you make these object models interoperate over LAN. But
forget about any substantial services that use them over WAN.

Manoj Dhooria
Geometric Software, Bombay