RE: Namespaces, schemas, Simon's filters.

Unless I'm confused with terminology, here, I don't see why use of local
elements would be a bad practice. A schema where every element is a global
element would seem to me to be very poorly designed (unless it models a
document type that is genuinely intended to have very loose structure).

I'd agree, though, that use of unqualified local elements is bad practice.
I'd also agree that reusing element names gratutitously is bad practice,
although there instances where it may be appropriate (such as the oft-cited
"title" example).