Re: "Uh, what do I need this for" (was RE: XML.COM: How I Learne d toLove daBomb)

Michael Brennan wrote:

> That's what's driving WSDL. As web services mature, very few programmers
> using web services tools will be dealing with XML APIs (unless they want
> to).

I wrote a literal-xml-only soap library for an early implementation, and
when I downloaded the MS SOAP kit I couldn't believe all the WSDL cruft
that was cluttering it up.

Having now used WSDL in .NET to generate complete sync and async proxy
client classes, and fairly useful abstract server classes, I now realise
it's not cruft, it's the key. As David Platt says, it's type library
definitions for the internet. And once you've got those, you're really
cooking.

Francis.