RE: Namespaces, W3C XML Schema (was Re: ANN: SAX Filters for NamespaceProcessing)

On 21 Aug 2001 12:48:12 -0500, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> Has anyone written a concise description of the limits
> of the validation power of XML Schemas, say one that
> considers the Schematron assertions?  IOW, how many
> coals to the shovelfull and and how many shovels full
> to fill the bin?

Murata Makoto, Dongwon Lee, and Murali Mani.  "Taxonomy of XML Schema
Languages using Formal Language Theory."  in Conference Proceedings,
Extreme Markup Languages 2001, p. 153-166. (Abstract:
http://www.extrememarkup.com/extreme/2001/wednesday.htm#3)

It examines DTD, W3C XML Schema, DSD, XDuce, RELAX Core, and TREX, not
Schematron per se, but I would expect Schematron to have expressive
powers in the RELAX/TREX zone, perhaps even more.  Schematron is
intriguingly off the charts for a lot of this.

I'm not sure that article is presently available to the world (I have a
printed copy of the proceedings), but it's fascinating stuff.

Simon St.Laurent