De: Michael Brennan
A: 'Elliotte Rusty Harold'; Xml-Dev
Date: 22/08/01 22:42
Objet: RE: Namespaces, W3C XML Schema (was Re: ANN: SAX Filters
forNamespaceProcessing)

> From: Elliotte Rusty Harold [mailto:elharo@metalab.unc.edu]

<snip/>

> And witness all the people using these products NOT. I
> classify this stuff along with tree-based XML editors and
> binary variants of XML as something that gets reinvented
> several times a month without any actual market demand.

I don't think I'd agree that there is no market demand for data-binding
tools. I think the complexity of XML Schema -- and the consequent
complexity
of tools that rely upon it -- is inhibiting more widespread adoption.

> On the other hand, over the last three years as I've taught
> developers about DTDs, almost invariably the first question
> is "How do I say that an element contains an int?" and the
> second question is usually ""How do I say that an element
> contains a year since 1969?" or some variant thereof.

In other words, people want data-binding, but they want it to be simple.

And it's really not clear to me why a language intended to just support
XML
validation needs to layer such concepts as types and inheritance on top
of
XML -- unless it is really intended to support data-binding.