Transactional Web Services ? (was: a very long subject with weirdspaces inside)

Thanks for the pointer, I'll have a look at it.

I once implemented a custom version of RMI that included a 2PC protocol
(which a transaction coordinator and all). The wire protocol was just a
one-way, peer-to-peer message sending system. Messages were serialized Java
objects. I did all this in order to better understand CORBA, RMI and
distributed transactions.

I based all the transactional parts on my reading of two books, one being a
french book, the other being "Concurrent Programming in Java, 2nd Edition"
from Doug Lea (Addison Wesley), chapter 3.6. From those books I learned that
transactions and 2PC are not voodoo. In fact the methods and requirements to
build a transactional system are not complicated (though they can be
expensive to put in practice).

Anyway, the conclusion is that you can implement a distributed transaction
system with 2PC on a one-way, peer-to-peer messaging protocol.

The current web services infrastructure is of course not ready for this, but
it'll have to tackle with the problem and solve it.

Regards,
Nicolas