From: Nicolas LEHUEN [mailto:nicolas.lehuen@ubicco.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 23, 2001 12:58 PM
To: 'David Orchard'
Cc: ''xml-dev' '
Subject: RE: Transactional Web Services ? (was: a very long subject with
w eirdspaces inside)

I agree that the problem is scalability, but it's the same problem whether
you're using web service or not (e.g. using CORBA or EJB). The utopian dream
in which business find each other through UDDI, learn each other languages
through WSDL and talk to each other through SOAP is all well, but I'm not
going to even begin to think about business implications if there is no
transactional capabilities behind.

Speaking or resource locking, we have encoutered interesting problems
developing contextual web services. In contextual web services, a context is
created on the server side in which all request from the same client will be
performed (a context is a session). This is useful for example in our
Exchange web service interface : we don't want to create a CDO session for
each request sent by a client, so we create a server-side context containing
the CDO session on the first request, and reuse it again and again until we
receive a "close" request.

The problem is that since HTTP is a stateless protocol, we are not notified
when then client fails, so there are possibilities that some resources are
never freed. So we implemented support for resource leasing in our SOAP-like
protocol, just like in RMI or Jini, to work around this problem. This way,
unused resources are automatically freed avec a timeout period.

I'm not sure that contextual web services are a good idea to generalize, but
the point is that we needed them for a set of projects. Does anyone else
implement/use such web services ?

Regards,
Nicolas