RE: Namespaces, schemas, Simon's filters.

Richard,

I just posted a response to Tim Bray which I think also covers this.
Basically,
1) I think the current mechanism is insufficient, therefore I'm against
premature solutions.  Keeping local elements out of the namespace
mechanism's purview allows more freedom on how to roll them in later.
2) The default mechanism at least distinguishes the two cases of local and
global, and software can exploit that.  Since the global case is the status
quo ante, software which previously understood qualified elements and didn't
understand unqualified elements still can function.  If local elements are
put in their parent's namespace, then existing software will break in
strange ways, depending on characteristics of the schema.

Matthew