RE: Namespaces, schemas, Simon's filters.

At 05:19 PM 24/08/01 -0700, Evan Lenz wrote:
>if what you mean by
>"element types are global" is that there is always a one-to-one
>correspondence between an element name and a content model.

Ron, is this what you mean?  Has anyone ever argued that there
should be a 1-to-1 linkage between name and content model (or
any other set of semantics)?

>#2 was never true for me in the first place. In fact, I would consider the
>use of namespaces to be orthogonal to the use of local element types.

Yes!  Anyone disagree?

>Yes, and so it should, and so they should. In my world, types and names are
>not necessarily the same thing.

I agree.  Unfortunately, XML 1.0 uses "type" to mean "name",
essentially.  I think Evan has hit the bull's-eye here.

Are we making progress? -Tim