RE: Enlightenment via avoiding the T-word

[Sorry for the HTML in the previous post.  Hopefully this one will be
better.]

Yes, we do alias in our SQL queries.  In fact, we alias everything; it helps
to break that tie between business layers and data layers.  And yes, there
may be cases where I need to get the "name" column from the "customer"
table, and the "name" column from the "person" table, all within the same
query, and alias them "CustomerName" and "PersonName" respectively.  But
this is only for the benefit of processing the data more easily.  There will
be other processing that we need to do which doesn't need to do this.  There
is no problem, from the database, telling which "name" is which, because
each is in it's own table.

To me, and this analogy is in danger of getting less and less like the
problem at hand, performing this type of query, and getting back a result
set, would be like taking one XML document (or a couple of XML documents),
and transforming it via XSLT to another XML document - some
elements/attributes/etc. may get renamed, but that doesn't mean that the
initial XML document is structured in a bad way - it just solved a different
problem than the new one does.