RE: Enlightenment via avoiding the T-word

I understand your point, but for practical use (I, like many others, need to
write code to help my company grow and earn some money), I find that
considering an XML document as an instance of a schema is very useful.

One of the many reasons for it is that when you write some code that
manipulates an XML document (be it for transformation or other purposes),
your code is written for a particular schema.

You can write code that operates on any XML document, the proof is XML
tools, but as soon as your code requires a semantic interpretation of an XML
document, it has to follow a implicit or explicit schema (unless it is
totally nonsense).

From there, you have two possibilities :

1) you hard code the target schema within your code, directly writing
algorithms that are bound to a particular schema.
2) you try to use meta-informations about the document schema to structure
your code in an extensible way, so that if the schema changes you don't have
to rewrite the whole code. I strongly believe that a schema API and/or a
form of PSVI are premium tools to do that.

I don't understand what's inherently bad in the PSVI, except maybe for your
point that "the validated form of a document is not its true form, so the
PSVI should not be considered as an enhanced version of the document
Infoset". I just don't care. I need this information to do my job in the
right way.

Regards,
Nicolas