RE: How to specify a Processing Instruction? (better: how tocontrolencoding on saving)

Maybe you should read it again and pay attention to:

"The LoadXML method always takes a Unicode BSTR that is encoded in UCS-2 or
UTF-16 only. If you pass in anything other than a valid Unicode BSTR to
LoadXML, it will fail to load."

> made this a
> little clearer to me.  It appears I'm reading an existing XML
> document with
> LoadXML.  That document is thus read in by default as UTF-8
> because there is
> no encoding declaration.  Then I receive an XML response from a second

No. MSXML assumes UTF-16 because that's the encoding used in COM strings.

> party.  I try and move one node from that XML document into my
> new one where
> that node is actually in ISO-8859-1.  It automatically converts the

Nodes aren't in any other encoding than the one used by the DOM (here:
UTF-16).

> ISO-8859-1 node to UTF-8 otherwise it wouldn't be able to stick it in the
> XML document in the first place and the whole thing quits working.

Please make sure you understand the difference between a DOM (an in-memory
object-model where strings are always encoded in UTF-16) and a particular
byte serialization (the XML "file").