Re: Combining external entities with DTDs

> Can I declare the external entitity in the header of my XML instance file
> without having to modify the DTD?

yes or no.

You can do:

<!DOCTYPE Page SYSTEM "cfl.dtd" [
<!ENTITY % wibble "wobble.ent">
%wibble;
]>
<Page>
...  &wrangle; ...
</Page>

where wobble.ent contains
<!ENTITY wrangle "x">

whether or not that is modifying the DTD depends on your view of what
"DTD" means.

David