RE: When To Use Schemas (Was RE: infinite depth to namespaces)

Validate a field on input?  So I load a really big schema to validate
a field on losing focus?  Seems inefficient if the form has been scoped and
I have an external set of validation functions included.  I could
break it up into mini-schemas, but I have to manage those, or
I could generate the schema on the fly using server code, but
is just pushing code to the other end of the pipe (has some
advantages).   IOW, performance still counts.

Yes, centralization and diversity can be at odds. But any
one out here that is building custom one off apps is in a
different business from those of us who build complex
agency applications.   Sure, there can be a set of data
rules and we have those down cold in our market.  But
each agency and each state and each country gets to
futz with them (real problems with m12n).  We never quite
get into the turnkey game supporting enterprise data.
It sounds like a good idea, but doesn't pan out.
One can seek to keep onsite implementation and
customization costs from making a tier 2 system cost
like a tier 1 system and stay out of the tier 3 systems
altogether.  We scale technology to the market not the
other way around.  XML is supposed to help us do that
but XML still requires a force of standardization, so
those who think the w3c should be turned into a group
of anti-standard heads probably isn't in the tier 1 or
2 marketplace.

As one who reads a lot of RFPs, the only group I'd like
to nail to the masthead is the proposal consultant who
actually never had to build a system, or hasn't
built one for twenty five years, or built the
last one as a web application and doesn't understand
the problems of non-Intenet mission critical apps
that may or may not have web interfaces.

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h