RE: infinite depth to namespaces

Most research in human-machine communication modeling
and research into topics such as ontological commitment
emphasize behavioral fidelity (aka, least surprise,
don't shock the monkey).  In HCI research, after
iterative stages of development, the dialog becomes
system-directed (fewer ad hoc jumps, machine controls
dialog).  The principles wherein each node does as it
will or can with the information reflect human-to-human
communication models.  These models typically demonstrate
redundancy, false starts, fillers, use of anaphors and
ellipsis (see Amodeus research).  Because these can
add substantial overhead to system resource consumption,
they are avoided in most machine-mediated communication.

If one envisages a continuum of communication behavior
that is modified both in content and structure by iteration,
human-to-human communication style is best applied in the
early negotiation stage.  After domains and tasks are
thoroughly understood by consenting parties, the more
formal machine directed forms are better applied.

I think many of the contributors to this thread are
considering only one extreme or the other of the
communication curve of knowledge acquisition that
leads to contract-based systems.

<bite>Until you know what they know, they don't know what you know.</bite>

Len
http://www.mp3.com/LenBullard

Ekam sat.h, Vipraah bahudhaa vadanti.
Daamyata. Datta. Dayadhvam.h