Re: XML Public Indentifier

At 08:15 AM 05/09/01 -0700, David Brownell wrote:

>A better solution is to use only URNs as system IDs in XML, using
>some URN resolution mechanism.

There's a chicken-and-egg problem here.  I am reluctant to start
stuffing URNs in XML until there's a good chance that they can
be dereferenced and used to retrieve things.  At the moment, my
own computer contains no URN dereferencing software that I'm aware
of.  On the other hand, I don't see a big chance that URN
resolution software is going to become ubiquitous until there's
a killer app for URNs; I suspect XML entity retrieval isn't it.

So I'd say we're stuck with URLs for the moment.  Using URNs
in the PUBLIC ID slot seems plausible though. -Tim