RE: Suggested guidelines for using local types. (was Re: Enlightenmentvia avoiding the T-word)

Yes, there is a distinction between complexType labes and element labels,
but I'm not sure how that's relevant here.

> In well-formed documents, there is only one root/document
> element, so are
> you suggesting that we call all elements which are not
> allowed to be at the
> top level "local"? That would be fine with me, but I would
> hardly suggest
> that all such elements be unqualified.

That is a practice which makes no sense to me.  That would be like having no
namespaces at all.

I understand that this
> is not exactly
> how -XSDL defines- "local element" but what I am trying to
> get at is not how
> such a term is defined in XSDL, but rather what the practical
> meaning of
> this term is.

How the term is defined in XSDL is _a_ practical meaning of this term, where
the term is applicable to an aspect of the semantics of the element (can
only appear in a particular context - and no schema author can validly allow
it to appear elsewhere), and not to its appearance in an instance.  I don't
think calling all elements other than the root "local" is a practical
meaning.  A practical term would be to call elements one of root, interior
or leaf, following standard terminology for trees.  I really am talking only
about XSDL local elements - I think the traditional notion of element
corresponds to what in XSDL terminology are global elements, local elements
are something different, and it is a good idea to distinguish them so as not
to clobber applications in strange ways.

Matthew