In-instance types

I just spent 20 minutes poking looking around
 http://www.w3.org/XML/Schema
for examples of XML instances with in-instance datatype labeling
in the style of <foo xsi:type="xsd:int">123</foo> ... I've seen
some but now I can't find any.  Am I imagining this, did
this fall out at some point before it got to REC?  I always
thought the idea of having an instance with embedded type
information was real useful.  -Tim