RE: Bad News on IE6 XML Support

At 02:50 9-09-2001, Joshua Allen wrote:
>This is getting pretty ridiculous.  IE is not an XML parser, period.

No, you're right.  MSXML is an XML parser (or claims to be).

That MSXML has a mode that allows it to parse things that are not XML is
questionable.

That MSIE delegates the handling of XML entities to MSXML in that mode is
unacceptable.

>The XML spec has nothing to say about what the correct behavior of a
>browser is,

No - but the parser is *required* not to "continue normal processing (i.e.,
it must not continue to pass character data and information about the
document's logical structure to the application in the normal
way)."  Microsoft *wanted* this language to avoid the bugward-compatibility
wars of 1996-1998.  One of the editors of the spec is from Microsoft.  Now
that they're in the dominant browser position, we see what that was worth.

I am not usually a big Microsoft fan.  But I have openly lauded their
efforts at standards compliance since Jean joined the SGML ERB.  Oh, my
friends mocked me - they said it wouldn't last.  "Embrace and extend -
it'll all end in tears, you'll see."  But I was young and foolish, those
dozens of Internet years ago.  Now I see their wisdom, alas, too late.

>That is like
>saying that the UNIX 'cat' command is broke because it does not fatally
>error when encountering a paragraph marker in a text stream that has an
>XML declaration at the beginning, because 'cat' "does not provide any
>mechanism for correction."

Neither Notepad nor cat claims to be a conforming XML application, nor to
include same.  MSXML does, as does MSIE.  There are substantial bugs that
can impair the long-term health of the content on the Internet.  At the
least, Microsoft needs to acknowledge that they are bugs, rather than
arguing that the specification is broken; that's just Humpty Dumpty talk.

And if your assertions about Radio Userland and Manila are accurate, then
they have significant bugs, too.  All the glass houses need to be boarded
up, I don't care who's throwing the stones.

-Chris
--
Christopher R. Maden, Principal Consultant, HMM Consulting Int'l, Inc.