RE: [xml-dev] difference bet. xerces and crimson

Crimson is part of JAXP 1.1.
Xerces is downloadable from the Apache site.

Certain versions of Xerces support XML Schema.
Crimson does not.

Xerces includes classes for DOM serialization.
Crimson does not, however the standard mechanism to do this with JAXP
1.1. is to use a default TRAX transformer, so effectively the same
functionality is provided.

I cannot comment on performance as I haven't seen any benchmarks.

Xerces supports the JAXP API, so if you write your code to use that API
exclusively, you can use either parser and switch between them using a
simple configuration change.