   Where have the element types gone?

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Where have the element types gone?
  • From: Eric van der Vlist <vdv@dyomedea.com>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2001 15:26:04 +0100

It's probably foolish of me to send this email just before flying to
Orlando, but having to do a presentation about namespaces (those of you
who read French can download it as pdf [1] or word [2]), I have noticed
that the element types which were playing a significant role in XML 1.0,
which "disambiguation" has been the number 1 objective of namespaces in
XML and which are playing a significant role in RDF have kind of vanished.

Let's remind the facts first.

XML 1.0 defines, out the scope of validation, element types as being
identifiers:

"[Definition: Each XML document contains one or more elements, the
boundaries of which are either delimited by start-tags and end-tags, or,
for empty elements, by an empty-element tag. Each element has a type,
identified by name, sometimes called its "generic identifier" (GI), and
may have a set of attribute specifications.]"

[1] http://www.atica.pm.gouv.fr/XML/documents/vdv.pdf
[2] http://www.atica.pm.gouv.fr/XML/documents/vdv.doc
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#sec-starttags
--