   RE: [xml-dev] Attribute Order

-----Original Message-----
From: Sean McGrath
> The trick is knowing where to draw the line.
> Try and implement everything in declarative grammers is impossible.

In this particular case, I'm think that NOTHING can be specified in a
declarative grammar. I have to look again at RELAX NG, though, as it might
handle the case where ordered elements are interrupted by unordered
insertions of other elements... but I'm thinking not.

> There is a sweet spot, its
> application and case by case specific. You develop a nose for it but
> it takes a long time.

No, I understand that. What worries me is not having any widely-used XML
processor or architecture available to handle this particular XML.

> Pragmatists err on the side of little gray boxes because the boxes
> are "little" (do something small and do it well), "gray" (plug
> replaceable
> with something else, commodity) and "boxes" (plural - use numerous
> little boxes to make an intractable problem tractable via
> divide and conquer).

Actually, I mispoke (paraphrasing too much of Hercule Poirot, I suppose):
this is a BIG gray box. Does all validation, except perhaps well-formedness
checking.

> <Plug>
> I'll be talking about this and other aspects of the industrialisation
> of XML processing at XML 2001 next week
> http://www.xmlconference.org/xmlusa/2001/thursday.htm#7
> </Plug>

Wish I could be there...