   Re: [xml-dev] Re: validating hairy data models (was [xml-dev]Attribute o

> I'd argue that any spec that imposes additional constraints on
> processors not imposed by XML 1.0 is not compliant with XML.

I think this might usefully be called "strict compliance".  That
should be a familiar term for many people, with that meaning.

As in: "Such a spec isn't strictly compliant with XML, although
it does use XML in its surface syntax."

The general issue is what someone pointed out:  what to do
with things that aren't explicitly mentioned in a specification.
A strict interpretation of any spec says that you can't ever rely
on such things ... ergo, it's as if they're forbidden.  It's always
safe to read a good spec strictly.  If such a reading gives
nonsense, it's a spec problem.

- Dave