   Java and retrieving DTD information

I am trying to figure out how to retrieve the entities for a given DTD...

The dtd is in a separate file and is referenced by it's system ID.

The problem is that the JAXP stuff doesn't appear to be able to give me the Entities declarations in the DTD...

So far, I have got to creating a DocumentType object from the Document object, but the getEntities() method doesn't return anything.

Will it only give me th Entities declared in the XML document or is it supposed to give me the entities declared in the external DTD as well.  It has to validate against them, so how does it do it?

Can anyone help me with this?

Paul