   Re: [xml-dev] First XML-1.1 Working Draft publicly available

[ NOTE: the place to bring back comments to the Working Group is
  the public archived list www-xml-blueberry-comments@w3.org as usual ]
On Thu, Dec 13, 2001 at 11:04:56PM -0000, Michael Kay wrote:
> >   XML 1.1
> >   W3C Working Draft 13 December 2001
> >
> >   http://www.w3.org/TR/xml11/
> >

> It seems a shame not to take the opportunity to bring XML Namespaces into
> the main XML spec. Not that I have ever been a fan of namespaces, but since
> all the other important specs like InfoSet and XPath now work only with
> namespace-conformant documents, it seems rather pointless to introduce an
> XML 1.1 that not only continues to allow documents that aren't namespace
> conformant, but even (as far as I can see) retains the timid "please don't
> misuse the colon" wording of XML 1.0 second edition.
>
> Will any vendor really want to produce an XML 1.1 parser that handles
> non-namespace-conformant documents, and if so, why?

  Hum, that wasn't in the requirement of XML Blueberry
    http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-blueberry-req

Mandating namespace support would not make it backward compatible, that's
a very heavy change.
Maybe the unification of the core XML specs (XML + NS + Base) should
be done at some point (XML-2.0 ?) but this is not the scope of this work.

Daniel