   RE: [xml-dev] First XML-1.1 Working Draft publicly available

> From: Michael Kay [mailto:michael.h.kay@ntlworld.com]

<snip/>

> It seems a shame not to take the opportunity to bring XML
> Namespaces into
> the main XML spec. Not that I have ever been a fan of
> namespaces, but since
> all the other important specs like InfoSet and XPath now work
> only with
> namespace-conformant documents, it seems rather pointless to
> introduce an
> XML 1.1 that not only continues to allow documents that
> aren't namespace
> conformant, but even (as far as I can see) retains the timid
> "please don't
> misuse the colon" wording of XML 1.0 second edition.

For that matter, it's a shame we can't sort out the clash between DTDs and
namespaces, though the ramifications of that would be quite broad. I'm
pretty tired of the painful contortions some go through to try to support
both DTDs and namespaces. They should be mutually exclusive, IMO, and that
can only be achieved by factoring out DTD support from the base XML spec.

I think we need an XML with 2 base profiles: one that supports DTDs and does
not support namespaces, and one that supports namespaces but does not
support DTDs. The latter would require a namespace-aware schema language if
you want to do validation.