   Re: [xml-dev] Suggestion for an alternative XML 1.1

At 1:02 PM +1100 12/16/01, Rick Jelliffe wrote:

>I suggest something along these lines:
>
>    1) It is called XML 1.1, if needed.

1.0.1 is much less damaging. 1.1 will be understood to mean that
everyone should upgrade no matter what. 1.0.1 is a lot less
psychologically compelling.

>    2) It converts NEL on input to #A.

That doesn't help. It only applies to parsers, not to other tools
that need to work with XML, specifically text editors.

One of the very strong features of XML is that you can open it up in
any reasonable text editor and make sense out of it. This is
*incredibly* useful for developers and for teaching. It is a large
reason why XML is superior to binary file formats. As soon as we
allow XML to use NEL as white space, we lose that advantage. XML
documents are no longer what most systems will understand as plain
text. Special purpose editors become a necessity.