   Re: [xml-dev] terra incognita

Simon St.Laurent wrote:

> On my way back from XML 2001, I started thinking about the conference
> I'd just seen and how exactly I landed in XML.  Wandering through a
> bunch of different loosely-connected ideas, I started thinking that XML
> and markup in general - including and perhaps especially SGML - simply
> doesn't fit well with a huge amount of what the rest of computing wants
> to believe.
>
> I'm sure this is obvious to some people but may be worth exploring in a
> little more detail for others.
>
> Labeled and hierarchically structured information seems very useful to
> XML folks, and it's pretty simple to work with as XML.  Put those
> labeled hierarchies into another framework - say, objects or relational
> databases - and suddenly what was simple gets complicated very quickly.

I must say that nowadays when I hear "object oriented programming" and "XML"
in the same sentence I slightly cringe. The first instinct one has, coming
from an object oriented background, is to meld the two together. This was my
inclination when I was more new to XML (e.g. the XMOP project
http://www.openhealth.org/documents/XMOP.htm), but the more I have had time
to reflect on things, the less this interests me.

> XML seems to encourage a diversity of data structures (even within the
> same document) which don't echo the relative conformity of both object
> and relational structures.

right. limiting oneself, limits oneself.

> The notion that representation is as important as underlying structure,
> which XML's syntactic rules make fairly explicit, is deeply alien to the
> Platonic view of information that many programmers seem to share.  The
> notion that lexical structure might be as important as the underlying
> information is one that even this community frequently has difficulty
> with, but it seems to be at the foundation of XML 1.0.

right again. objects tend to treat data as opaque, one tends to access data
_through_ an object, not directly as one might access XML.

> I'm not sure that any of this is new or unusual - most of it's probably
> obvious to a lot of people.

No, I would guess that most people, including many experienced people, have
much trouble distinguishing between objects and XML.

> Maybe I've been working in the XML trenches too long, but it seems like
> maybe it's time to say "XML is different from the rest of what you've
> been working on, and we should take that seriously" rather than
> pretending that XML is simply glue for other technologies.  This may not
> be easy to sell to customers, but it may help us solve their problems.

Well that's why some call XML "post object oriented" (POO) somewhat tongue
in cheek, but only somewhat.

Jonathan