   Re: [xml-dev] XML and mainframes,yet again (was RE: [xml-dev] So me comm

> > It is unnatural to
> > allow #85 as white space in XML as (currently at least) it isn't as far
> > as I know an end of line character in any ascii/unicode based system.
>
> It is.  ASCII text files on a mainframe use #x85 (encoded as 85)
> as the line-end character.

And here I was always believing that ASCII was a purely
seven bit code.  In fact the copy of the ASCII spec I have
(buried :) says so definitively.

Any file with a byte with the 0x80 bit set is NOT ASCII.

Unless there's been a revision of the spec somewhere
that changed that fundamental feature, which I suppose
could always have happened.

- Dave