   Re: [xml-dev] DESIGN PROPOSAL: Java XMLIterator

| package org.ccil.cowan.iter;
| public interface XMLNode {
| public org.xml.sax.Locator getLocator();
| public int getType();
| public int getAttributeType();
| public string getNSURI();
| public string getQName();
| public string getLocalName();
| public org.xml.sax.Attributes getAttributes();
| public string getValue();
| public bool isIgnorableWhitespace();
| }

I would also suggest a getParent() function as this
is most useful... and requiring the source of the
iterator to keep an ancestor stack is a very small
requirement.

Let's call this interface PULL and the SAX interface PUSH.
Typically, programs will use this as their interface for
the parser, and use the SAX interface for the emitter.

(xml) -> PULL -> [appliction] -> PUSH -> (xml)

The application then can do much of it's processing
with a set of nested functions called recurisvely,
where each function has a single while loop to iterate
over the children and push the results to the output
interface.

Thus, the goal of this interface is to make the
application's job easy; the getParent() does this
nicely and it's only a small additional requirement
to have on the provider of the XML source information.
A nice trade if you ask me.  Why duplicate all of
the logic to track the ancestor stack in each application
when the parser can do it for you?

Best,

Clark

--
Clark C. Evans                   Axista, Inc.
http://www.axista.com            800.926.5525