   Beauty and markup (was Re: terra incognita)

W.E. Perry wrote:
> Rhetoric is about nothing but rendition, so there is no room
> to argue that the rhetorical structure might consist of
> anything more than can be derived from the empirical
> observation of the instance.

I don't know who came up with the notion that literature is just
"sugar-coated philosophy", but it wouldn't surprise me if it was one of the
XML-as-merely-serialized-object folks. In school, I was always more
impressed with the Continental (as opposed to analytic) philosophical
tradition which didn't assume that anything of philosophical import in a
musical piece, novel, or painting could be expressed losslessly in essay or
dissertation form. On the contrary, art has something to say about truth.

In Orlando, Rick Jelliffe used the words "beautiful" and "markup" in the
same sentence, and it suddenly became clear to me that a similar distinction
could be made in the XML community.

Evan Lenz