   Re: [xml-dev] terra incognita

On Tuesday 18 December 2001 01:50 am, David Brownell wrote:
> Consider:  send an S-Expression over TCP and (eval) ...
> that's "write once, run everywhere" about 30 years before
> certain marketroids decided it was a good idea.   And
> that's just one many examples ... :)

This is precisely what I did in a distributed hypermedia system about 10
years or so ago now.... all UI's, user interactions, and the shared state of
the system was available via S-expressions.

When you started up the system, you could connect to any other node, and the
shared state (whiteboards etc.) was downloaded... as S-expressions that were
evaluated to instantiate the current shared/personal UI (this was a
peer-to-peer system, though some peers were more equal than others ;-)).

I've been wanting to build this in XML for a while now...