   Re: [xml-dev] Suggestion for an alternative XML 1.1

 From: "John Cowan" <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>

> I agree.  Which is why saying that some developers, on some
> systems, have the choice "XML xor plain text", we have an
> inequity that must be fixed.

I don't think anyone is disputing much that it would be a good idea to
map NEL to U+000A on import.  I haven't seen any support for including
U+0085 and U+2029 as separator characters. There has never been
any guarantee that newline characters could be roundtripped in XML
(XML was not designed as a data serialization language, it is a
markup language), so there is no "inequality" for mainframers
vs. Mac people or UNIX people.

Actually, I would also wonder why "inequality" is used anyway:
I am not sure that "companies who use mainframes" are universally
recognized as being disadvantaged by life or birth to such an extent that
it creates any particular moral imperitive in people of good will to
help them where it is in our power.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe