   Re: [xml-dev] Some comments on the 1.1 draft

On Wednesday 19 December 2001 01:24 pm, John Cowan wrote:
> However, the control characters are *characters*, not really very
> different from other control characters in the Unicode space
> which are already allowed: not only the ISO C1 controls, but
> also such things as: the Mongolian variant controls (and the
> Unicode 3.2 generic variant controls); the bidi marks, overrides,
> etc; and the music symbol begins/ends.

Yeah... we can have a debate about this. Some of the control characters have
pretty varied applications/semantics. In terms of the character/glyph model,
which is what we base all this stuff on to a degree, it's somewhat less clear
whether these should really be a character or not.

Seems to me that Unicode, while making a valiant effort, is also not immune
to the pragmatic issues of current use and grandfathering existing data.