   Re: [xml-dev] terra incognita

----- Original Message -----
From: "Al Snell" <alaric@alaric-snell.com>

> On Wed, 19 Dec 2001, Jeff Lowery wrote:
>
> > > The original poster mentioned CSVs which for all intents and
> > > purposes will
> > > always be smaller files than their XML counterparts.
> >
> > Of course, CSV's aren't self-describing. I've spent many hours trying to
> > debug CSV output and the eye-crossover point occurs much sooner with CSV
> > than with XML. Data handles are handy.
>
> CSV can be self describing, if you use the common variant that has column
> headings in the first row :-)

Well ... the 'original poster' was me, so I would insist that
if trying to 'improve' CSV it would result in something
very close to XML.

For example, when column names  are 'annotated', but
also must be unique within a schema this is not too much different
from the :

<A property1="some value" property2 = "some value"/>

Comparing this XML with the annotated CSV, XML has
small overhead. However, CSV has no 'arrays' in it , so
after tweaking CSV for 'readability', 'nested arrays' e t.c. -
one may end up with  something like :

A property="value" {
    B { value }
    C { value }
}

e t.c.

Which is almost XML. In fact, just adding </> to XML
would turn it into 'really nice CSV', that would allow

<A>
    some text
</>

Of course, then one can easily ruin this CSV with,
namespaces, weird macroprocessor, pseudo-validation
and other useless things, but my point is that XML is
not only the markup language.

I think that if just trying to put CSV on steroids
( readability + arrays ) that could result in something
like XML, so *that* side of XML makes it OK for
serializations.

Sorry if it sounds messy ...  XML *is* messy ...

Rgds.Paul.

PS. You know the history behind "qwerty" keyboard?
I mean why the keys are located in that
particular order... Everybody, whom I ask, usually
answers : "by frequency, so we can type faster".

Very ... educational ...
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/history.html