   Re: [xml-dev] Why would MS want to make XML break on UNIX, Perl, Python

On Thursday 20 December 2001 03:13 am, Dare Obasanjo wrote:
> 1.) Exactly how common is piping XML (not ASCII) used in UNIX applications?
> I have never seen a UNIX app that does this.

I do it all the time. I often use sed/perl for manipulating XML content...
and I often used pipelines processing to incrementally add/modify markup. I
did this most recently (a few days ago) with a large article database in
fact... I used perl and sed to split the databases, and to add more markup.

> 3.) Since when did every opinion put forward by an employee of a
> corporation on a public discussion forum become CAST IN STONE company
> policy?

A common Usenet mannerism is to explicitly note when your opinions might be
different from those of your employer. Representability and responsibility
are very important in distributed communities.... these communities are,
after all, usually built on trust networks.

> 4.) Micheal is not the only one who was in favor of XML 1.1, so what are
> your conspiracy theories regarding the others that mentioned support for
> the idea on XML-dev or Reuter's Health or  the W3C for that matter?

Michael was one of the people asking to allow control characters in XML 1.1.