   Re: [xml-dev] Some comments on the 1.1 draft

In article <012101c188ff$85e65f70$4bc8a8c0@AlletteSystems.com> you write:

>What about ^D and ^Z?? These have been end-of-file markers for
>text files in various operating systems.   What about ^S and ^Q, used
>for flow control in serial comms.

I'm not sure how these questions are relevant to the issue of what
unicode characters should be allowed.  The problems with files and
serial lines are problems with the *encodings*, not the characters
themselves.  16-bit Unicode frequently contains bytes corresponding to
^D, ^Q, ^S and ^Z yet no-one suggests that this means we shouldn't
allow it for storing XML files.

-- Richard