   Re: [xml-dev] Goodbye to textual applications?

On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 08:36:42AM -0800, Joe English wrote:
>XML's original requirement of compatibility with SGML has
>served its purpose.  At this point SGML, if it is to survive,
>needs to worry about compatibility with XML.

But is a DTD-less XML still good for writing up novels and recipes?
DTDs provide just about the right level of strictness for textual
data, where ordering of elements is often all that you need and the
readability of the schema matters.  I'm a bit concerned that dropping
DTDs will mean the end of such applications.  If you take away DTDs,
what is there to replace them?  XML Schema, which is less readable and
provides a lot of data types that aren't useful to a textual
application?

--amk