   The Internet Principle (was: Some comments on the 1.1 draft)

Gavin Thomas Nicol wrote:

> "Be conservative in what you produce, and liberal in what you consume" is the
> internet mantra..

It used to be.  But as volume rose, and more and more Bad Stuff was
being generated, some applications switched to the conservative/
conservative style.  The first case I know of was when C News decided
to drop Usenet articles with non-standard Date: headers, rather than
using a forgiving-but-expensive parser to try to make sense of them.
The howls were many, but compliance of news posting software went up.

(Return-to-sender isn't feasible on Usenet, where From: lines don't
necessarily contain usable email addresses, and random mixtures of
old-style and new-style news forwarders can cause a flood of
bounce-o-grams for a single posting.)

Similarly, HTML was officially conservative/conservative, in
practice conservative/liberal at first, and eventually liberal/liberal,
causing the well-known race to the bottom ("my browser understands
more disgusting tool-generated hacks than yours does").  At the
insistence of the major HTML browser manufacturers, therefore, XML
adopted a conservative/conservative strategy -- so far quite
successfully.

> That said, even in these cases, I think control characters are not text.

All that is done by line-end characters in XML could be done by
markup, but we do not go so far as to ban them, or even to filter
them out at the parser level.

--
Not to perambulate             || John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
    the corridors               || http://www.reutershealth.com