   Re: [xml-dev] Time to put SGML out to pasture? (was RE: [xml-dev] Why w

[Marcus Carr]
>I think the choice of terms is a bit unfortunate, but if he had suggested
>ignoring (rather than attacking with malice) the SGML community, I don't think
>that I would have any problem with it. I'm well and truly from the SGML
>community, but I feel that the efforts that have been made by XML to date to
>keep the two in line have been both canny and considerate. There's no question
>that XML now needs to be driven by self-interest, but I think that many
>SGMLers
>can accept that without too many pangs.

There was no malice involved. Without James Clark, SGML would not
have had the success it did have. I cannot count the millions of dollars
of publishing systems apps I have witnessed that are founded on nsgmls...
He has the deepest knowledge of SGML of anyone I know and has contributed
more neurons to its develpment and implementation than anyone I know. When
James Clark gets critical of SGML compatability we should take notice precisely
because he *is* James Clark.

Remember sgmls, SP, Jade etc? If anyone is qualified to be critical it is
James. I think it is great to see his still so actively
involved after all these years and still doing such great stuff. A lesser force
would have retired from the fray long ago.

Sean