   RE: [xml-dev] Why would MS want to make XML break on UNIX, Perl, Python

Right. That's why these various "death of text" and "can't edit with a text
editor" and "breaking Unix" threads mystify me: XML 1.0 opened the door to
all these problems. If folks have gotten by just fine using their ASCII
tools with XML 1.0, that's not likely to change with 1.1.  OK, so you COULD
get an XML 1.1 (as drafted) document with  NELs rather than LFs or various
control characters in it that may confuse vi or sed or more.  I can't
imagine that these tools handle UTF-16 gracefully, so people who are getting
by with ASCII tools are getting by because of CONVENTIONS, not STANDARDS.
The convention of sending Americans stuff in ASCII if possible, Western
Europeans stuff in ISO Latin 1, etc. is not going away any faster than the
old tools do.