   Re: [xml-dev] W3C's five new XQuery/Xpath2 working drafts - Still miss

> For me personally, updates are an extremely high priority. I am
> concerned about the likelihood that several similar implementations
> may hit the market before there is a standard for updates. But I am
> also very concerned that XQuery 1.0 be released relatively soon.
>
> So would you still want to see updates in XQuery 1.0 if it meant
> releasing XQuery six months later?

These are all valid.  My personal preference would be:

a. delay XQuery 1.0 to include at leaset UPDATE of content
b. leave element and attribute constructors and "structure" UPDATE for
2.0 (I believe someone used the word UPSERT for this).

Can anyone give me an idea of how long that would take?  I understand a
complete UPDATE would delay the reco. by approximately 6 months.

But I do understand the urgency of getting a reco. out there that is
well specified and well thought out.  But my concern is that vendors
will take the 1.0 reco., add their own UPDATE semantics and create a lot
of confusion and headache for users.  It would be harder and more
expensive to take that chance on the entire XQuery reco.  UPDATE is such
a critical part of a query language that the temptation is hard to resist.

Regards,

Soumitra